Re: Americans are idiots

Author:David Carter-Tod

Regulation is not an answer, but there is no doubt in my mind that various media, particularly in the US, tend to glorify violence as a solution to problems. That relates Littleton and Kosovo. Violent video games don't "train" anyone, but they do contribute in small ways to a cultural atmosphere in which the violent solution is easily entertained, and the ramifications of violence are not clearly spelled out.

To my mind, Littleton demonstrates the failure of a society and individuals to promote and teach about other ways of solving problems. That's a conscious decision that needs to be made by schools, teachers, communities, and politicians.

Kosovo is different because we're working across cultures, i.e. We could resolutely stick to non-violence, but Milosevic is under no pressure to do so.

What can we do? If you say "don't do that or else" and he does it, you have to implement your "or else". Otherwise you lose all credibility (ask my 2-year old daughter). Sooner or later that "or else" will involve damaging civilians, e.g. sanctions in Iraq. The alternative is to not demand any behavior of another "culture". That's the argument China uses: "You can't tell us what to do. It's another culture: people don't want democracy or freedom like the US". If you're committed to universal principles such as the UN Declaration of human rights, that's not an option.

It really gets complex when you don't live up to your own principles, or international law, which the US is guilty of. It implements double standards all over the place, which damages its moral authority. Having said that, the pragmatist says that you do what you can.

The real issue in Kosovo isn't Kosovo, it's Greece and Turkey, both Nato allies. If Milosevic is allowed to go unchecked, you're looking at serious destabilization in those countries, which are ready to go to war.