The need for the 2nd amendment

Author:Nic Sch

>Having weapons similar to those of your government and the >criminals is key to maintaining freedom. So, when push comes >to shove, there are always more upstanding citizens than the >army and the criminals put together.

Being a non-american, I've never really figured out this 2nd amendment thing about having weapons to protect oneself from the government. Maybe someone here can enlighten me on the reasons for it, or at least give me an american perspective.

My view is that today the USA is a democracy, so why should the citizen need a weapon as protection against the government? If there is a belief among the citizens that the government is not representing the people, shouldn't that be solved within the democratic framework? Isn't the entire point of having a democracy that the citizens should be able to elect leaders that will run the country according to the citizens' wishes? If the government is oppressing the people, one way or the other, vote them out of office!

I can't believe that the americans fear a coup de etat (sp?) and the abolishment of democracy in the USA within the nect couple of decades (if not centuries) so why the need for weapons?

/ Niclas