Re: Web-Based Editable Outliner: Technography

Author:Oliver Wrede
Posted:5/6/1999; 9:55:50 AM
Topic:Web-Based Editable Outliner: Technography

Cool. Good work!

If you can't imitate the Frontier interface perfectly (especially the drag&drop interaction by dragging the arrows), you maybe should not try to let this outliner look alike?

Is there a chance to set a CSS style of the input-fields and layers in a way so that the switching between browsing/editing does not change size and form of the typeface (of course this will not be possible when you have HTML directly rendered).

I think this DHTMLish version of the outliner will stand or fall with the drag&drop support - this seems to be a high-priority-feature for me. If you use the arrow as a background image (in a table cell or in a layer) I think the browser will not interfere when dragging.

Another approach may be to examine the possibilities of drag&drop in the browser window first. As for Internet Explorer 5, Microsoft seems to have some ideas for drag&drop: http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/obj_dataTransfer.asp

Oliver