JavaScript Bug/Changes in MSIE5?

Author:Michael Myers
Posted:5/6/1999; 2:23:21 PM
Topic:JavaScript Bug/Changes in MSIE5?

I'm still trying to track down why one of my custom menu scripts is failing since I upgraded to MSIE5 many weeks ago.

I discovered today that the prompt() function is failing to produce the JavaScript dialog.

The weird thing is, if I just put the line

alert("")

earlier in the script, then the prompt dialog does show up. It seems to be tickling MSIE5 in some way.

And it actually doesn't matter what text I put into the alert() function, because the alert dialog never appears!

Here is one script where the alert() function is necessary to get things to work: