Re: Designing Accessible Websites

Author:Sean Lindsay
Posted:5/7/1999; 7:26:01 AM
Topic:Designing Accessible Websites

Criticism noted. Previous post amended to reflect statement of personal opinion.

I'm amazed that people are taking this so personally, though. Designing for accessibility is (to me) like remembering that cyclists and pedestrians use the roads too when I'm driving a car. I think everyone should design for accessibility, but hey, who the hell am I. Stating an opinion is not the same as imposing it.

Personally, I don't like it when other people impose their values on me, and I imagine other people feel the same way.

Forgive me for be-bopping when I should be doing the twist, but isn't designing an inaccessible site imposing your values on other people?

I generally try to avoid terms like "civil rights" and "litigation" when discussing accessibility. If I can't get people to consider it because "it's a nice thing to do", then what hope is there?