Re: The need for the 2nd amendment

Author:Paul L. Bruno

I tend to think most people in our government right now are well-intentioned. When they try to take away our guns, encryption, or free speech, it's generally for benevolent reasons of law enforcement. What they neglect to consider, is that they are making it easier for future government officials who may not be so well-intentioned. If the road to despotism remains long and difficult, it will be a less tempting road to take.

Does anyone else remember the Infocom game "A Mind Forever Voyaging"? In it, you play a person who is sent into the future, and you have to figure out what little policy decisions made in the past shaped the future. So you can help influence them.

Also, see Eric Fromm's "Escape From Freedom" and F.A. Hayek's "The Road To Serfdom".