Re: Update on My.UserLand.Com

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/9/1999; 9:15:49 AM
Topic:Update on My.UserLand.Com

That's an excellent suggestion for now. Why not depend on my.netscape.com? It exists. If it has a feature you need, register your channel at both places. I can put a mail loop in there, but I'd rather let the community participate in the evolution once we get the main code released, which will happen tomorrow. I have the new version running on the server, and it seems to be holding up fine.

Next question

Any thoughts on how to manage an open source project when we're working on a Frontier guest database? I ask about this on a human project management level. We already have WebEdit, and I'm making myUserLand.root subscribable, so there's nothing in the way from a technical standpoint.

I'd like to get two or three expert Frontier developers to work on this with me on a completely open source basis. I'd rule with a light hand, I want people who have enough experience so they've turned a couple of corners with us so will be senstitive to not breaking things, and will be willing to do the work in such a way as to not limit options for future growth, and to be compatible with other projects we're working on at UserLand.

I see myUserLand.root as potentially the next kernel, the networked one, for Frontier as an Internet Content Management System. Whether it achieves that promise or is just an iteration, will depend on how involved the Frontier community gets in this project.