Re: How I Knew OpenDoc Would Bomb

Author:Bruce Hoult
Posted:5/9/1999; 6:17:14 PM
Topic:How I Knew OpenDoc Would Bomb

OK, that's a good reason for saying that it's going to bomb. I even agree with them.

What you were saying publicly at the time *wasn't* a self-sufficient good reason though, so I hope you'll forgive those of us who didn't have the inside info for disagreeing with you then.

the problem is that what you *appeared* to be sayng was that it was going to take too long to do and be too slow, neither of which matters if you've got a) deep enough pockets to stick with it, b) exponentially faster machines coming along, and c) no competition who can beat you to it. a) proved not to be true, but b) is certainly true, and as for c) no one else has done anything yet that has taken the OpenDoc space. I guess JavaBeans and ActiveX are trying, but they're not there.