Re: How I Knew OpenDoc Would Bomb

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/9/1999; 6:27:33 PM
Topic:How I Knew OpenDoc Would Bomb

No one else has done anything yet that has taken the OpenDoc space. I guess JavaBeans and ActiveX are trying, but they're not there.

They haven't done it because it's a hard problem because the politics are so intense. If you want to do a lightweight component API and not bring any developers or partners along with you, that's easier, but it's still not trivial. Maybe those that sniff at ActiveX are a little more humble now. Microsoft, for all that people complain about them, actually shipped something that works, and they've kept it moving.

I also think people are entitled to their opinion and entitled to make their own investment decisions. And I don't feel bad about what I said back then because it was a lot more than any other developer was saying publicly.