Re: Installing RedHat 6.0

Author:Mike Murry
Posted:5/10/1999; 9:52:45 AM
Topic:Installing RedHat 6.0

Just choose the "Server" option.

Disclaimer: I haven't gotten my RH 6.0 CD yet, so the following may not apply. I'm basing this on RH 5.2

This may or may not be a good idea. Although the "Workstation" and "Server" partitioning/install options are great if you don't want worry about what gets installed, it is not very efficient. These 2 options only work on a set sized hard drive (I don't remember what the exact size is, but I think its 1.2 GB for a Workstation install and 3 GB for a Server install). This means that if your HD is smaller than 1.2/3 GB, you have to do a "Custom" partitioning, and if its larger you won't be using all of your disk.

Custom is really the way to go. Partitioning is a lot easier now if you use DiskDruid instead of fdisk. You get a nice GUI to do the partition so its not as criptic. The only part you'll have to think about is figuring out how big to make each partition. Its probably easiest just to use the recommended sizes in the manual and extrapolate that to the actual size of your HD. The /usr and /home partitions should be the biggest partitions because this is where the apps and user accounts (which also encludes the html and ftp files) live.

As for the which files to install, if you have the room just install everything (there is an option for this at the bottom of the list of packages when you get to the install screen). When you're just starting out there is enough to worry about just learning the OS.