Significance of "localhost" ?

Author:Stan Purington
Posted:5/10/1999; 10:44:38 AM
Topic:Significance of "localhost" ?

I have set up mainresponder and discussion groups on several servers now and always run into some problems (missing icons, etc) which go away if I replace "localhost" in config.mainresponder.urls with the host name/ip of my server.

What is the significance of "localhost"?

What are the implications of hardcoding my server's actual host name in its place?

Where should I not replace "localhost" with the actual host name?