Re: What is Windows CE?

Topic:What is Windows CE?

But you also have to remember that Windows CE is Microsoft's answer to the embedded OS market. Not just the set top market.

There are a lot of different OSs in the embeded system marketplace. VMXWorks, RTXC, and others sell a LOT of licenses. I know that there are more embedded systems in the world than PCs by a huge factor. The commercial embeded OSs are a very large market. Windows CE is Microsoft's push into that market.

I don't know how well they are doing (I have heard horror stories by friends in other companies who were orded to use the OS for their next design (the costs, licensing issues, and performance)). But they are trying.

Remember, the majority of OSs in embedded systems are still homegrown.