Re: Installing RedHat 6.0 (Just Do It!)

Author:Brad Marsh
Posted:5/10/1999; 1:06:26 PM
Topic:Installing RedHat 6.0

I recently did an install off of my old RH 5.0 CD. I put it in an old beater 5x86, 32 MB RAM, 6.4GB HD, generic (cheap!) 4mb video (S3 chip), IDE CD drive, generic 14" monitor.

It took 20 minutes or so, and went flawlessly. The RH install detected my hardware perfectly; X Windows worked fine. I compiled and installed PHP, Apache, MySQL, and PostgreSQL.

Then I upgraded via FTP to 6.0. Although it took several hours (via T-1), it too went flawlessly. And didn't affect any of my other apps that I had previously installed.

The moral: Just Do It. I agree with Eric.