Re: Installing RedHat 6.0 (Just Do It!)

Author:Julian Melville
Posted:5/10/1999; 11:38:04 PM
Topic:Installing RedHat 6.0

Agreed, just go for it. I installed Red Hat 5.1 at home, screwed a few things up, installed again, and generally messed around until I figured out what was going on. I tried a couple of other distributions (different versions of Slackware) but I think on a relatively recent machine Red Hat has what you need. I also run LinuxPPC on a Mac 7200/90 and it's wonderful.

One small piece of advice - I would prevent Red Hat from installing Apache, MySQL and PHP by default, go download the latest source and do it myself (I just built Apache/PHP on LinuxPPC yesterday without fuss). Install MySQL first, then build Apache and PHP together (good instructions are in the PHP docs) because the PHP build process looks for files in the MySQL directories.

There are so many configuration options that depend on you compiling instead of installing from RPM, I've had much better success that way, and it's really no hassle at all.