Re: China and the Bombing of Yugoslavia

Author:Lixian B. Chiu
Posted:5/11/1999; 9:23:05 AM
Topic:What Chinese people thought

China was against our bombing from the start. They made their opinion known, and we blew them off.

The major difference b/w now and then is that unlike Russia, before the embassy bombing, while the Chinese government opposed the air strikes, they were not seriously interested in putting a lot of effort into this. But they can no longer do that because of the internal pressure that they are getting from the public. Now they cannot back down w/o getting a reasonable compensation from US/NATO, if they do so, anger may turn to them instead.

IMHO, unless the strike ends now, nothing is going to resolve the crisis. It must stop now and then the two countries can sit down and talk.