Germany's big mistake

Author:Christoph Pingel
Posted:5/11/1999; 11:13:54 AM
Topic:What Chinese people thought

_Milosevic_ should have been the target, not the entire economic infrastructure of Yugosovia.

Are you sure? What do you know about Milosevic? He had bad press since 1993, or even earlier, when Germany demanded from Serbia (and the rest of the world) to approve the breaking apart of Yugoslavia. Without regard for the consequences. This was a terrible mistake, and today it's easier to blame the serbs for all the cruelties (from all sides) than to admit that we, the Europeans and especially the German government, did something very, very stupid and tragic.

Some two or three weeks ago, the German minister of defense, Mr. Scharping, showed pictures that should "prove" that there had been "ethnic cleansing" in Kosovo even before the NATO was bombing. The day after, some journalists found out that these photos were from a military incident (showing corpses of UCK fighters), not a massacre.

What do you think, why is he trying to lie? Is he even aware of it? Is he trying to prove that he can show us just about anything and we will eat it? Personally, I believe he simply hasn't any better material. These people are so cynical, I simply can't think of a reason why they should *not* show us the most cruel pictures - if they had any.

Some day, we all (and some politicians also) will regret bitterly what we have done to the Serbian people.

BTW, I think this conflict shows that the internet is still a "weak", not very influential medium. In spite of the internet (and sites like beograd.com), everybody seems to believe that the Serbs are the bad guys, and the Croatians and the Albanians are the good ones - it's not that simple. Not at all.