Re: I did the deed!

Author:Matthew Dornquast
Posted:5/11/1999; 6:33:49 PM
Topic:Installing RedHat 6.0

Why I agree an X-Server is in theory a much better way to go, I agree with Bruce. I consider VNC a far better solutions for machines on LANs. (I've tried the very limitted free X server you mentioned)

The only client for NT I've found worked really well (with most everything) was Hummingbird and at $300, it's overpriced. C'mon-- you can buy another computer for that!!

VNC Has other strengths as well-- your NT/Windows box crashes, and there is your wonder VNC session still running on that stable linux box right up to the keystroke when your NT box crapped out.

Quite honestly, VNC felt snapier than hummingbird running on a 100mbit lan with 450mhz systems for client & server.

Last VNC point to comment on: Turn on applet serving, and your linux box is ready and waiting with a GUI from any computer with a java enabled web browser! You haven't lived till you're using your NT box running Explorer 5.0 to connect to your linux box using VNC/Java, then opening up Netscape 4.0 and running it on Linux!