Re: Sherlock -IS- a portal

Author:Doc Searls
Posted:5/14/1999; 4:45:08 PM
Topic:Sherlock -IS- a portal

With Sherlock, people no longer -NEED- a browser to search the Internet.

! That means their first view of the WWW isn't via a browser.

But their second view is with a browser.

My primary point is that we don't need browsers. We just need to make the OS smart enough to do all the stuff that a browser does now, and I'm not talking about force bundling of the browser.

The Mac OS can already render text, images, Java, scripts, play sounds, and movies without the help of an application. Why shouldn't it also render HTML without the help of Netscape or Explorer.

Wasn't that CyberDog? Or am I missing something here?

I don't want Netscape Navigator -OR- MSIE. I want my OS, be it Linux, Mac OS or Windows to find and show me Web Pages, each in it's own window like I can view Text, PICT, and Sound clippings today.

With Netscape we had a company that wanted to collapse the OS into the browser; and with Microsoft we had an OS company that wanted to collapse the browser into the OS. Apple failed at the same mission with CyberDog.

Not sure what the answer is here, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Apple to deliver it.

Doc