scriptingNews outline for 5/15/99

Author:Dave Winer

Source release of Prefs.UserLand.Com. If you are running a Frontier 6 server with membership and user preferences, please download the new code and use it. You'll be happy you did.

Here's a website I'm doing with my uncle Ken Kiesler, also known as The Great Va-Va-Voom.

The song of the day, Irma Thomas' Hip Shakin Mama. RealAudio.

O'Reilly: SourceExchange. "It's a dynamic, wide-open marketplace of software projects where buyers with highly specialized demands meet suppliers of highly skilled services."

InfoWorld: Microsoft Embraces other Platforms? "After months of labeling its Windows platform 'the ultimate application server,' Microsoft is partnering with third-party vendors in hopes of giving customers a solution that better fits with their heterogeneous environments."

Faisal Jawdat: "With all due respect to the fantastic accomplishment that Linux represents (both in terms of creating a new operating system 'from scratch' and in terms of creating something significant and usable in Open Source), it's not ready to be my client OS or my server OS for serious work, and the Linux community needs to realize that the leap required is more than a code fix."