Re: Hint to Apple

Author:Hannes Wallnöfer
Posted:5/15/1999; 8:03:07 AM
Topic:Hint to Apple

I think you could have disagreed without the Linux developer community bashing.

6. The Linux development community tends to be extremely immature, both in terms of personality and in terms of understanding quality and the state of the art. Apple doesn't need this in their public relations or their codebase. I certainly don't need it in my codebase.

My experience (from interviews and mailing lists) is that Linux lead developers tend to be mature, reasonable and pragmatical people. Of course you get a different picture from reading Slashdot.org, but then its only normal for a 17 year old to be immature.

With all due respect to the fantastic accomplishment that Linux represents (both in terms of creating a new operating system "from scratch" and in terms of creating something significant and usable in Open Source), it's not ready to be my client OS or my server OS for serious work, and the Linux community needs to realize that the leap required is more than a code fix.

So what would be that quantum leap required to make Linux ready to handle your "serious work"? I first installed Linux in 1995 just out of curiousity. From 1996 to present I´ve been using it for secondary systems, mostly for faceless network stuff.

One week ago I installed the new SuSE 6.1 on a spare partition of my PC. As usual, it was intended as a secondary system, but then some things happened. First, this was the first time I installed Linux on a fast, fresh machine. Before I had it running on 486 or Pentiums, but it felt completely different on a dual P2 with fast SCSI drives. Also, the system is so much more mature than it was just a year ago. With KDE 1.1, I feel for the first time that the user interface is actually superior to Windows in some spots, although there are rough edges in many other places.

Then, 2 days ago, the NT system bluescreened while compiling a big project, downloading some file and listening to an MP3 at the same time. I'm not saying I completely switched to Linux, but I haven't booted NT since.

PS: I'm a Java developer and using the TowerJ Java runtime on both NT and Linux.