Re: Linux has Kernel Modules...

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:5/15/1999; 5:18:52 PM
Topic:Hint to Apple

Modules are great, but there's no guarantee from Linus that modules compiled against one version of the kernel will work with a later version.

As an example, let's say I buy some great new widget, which comes with a Linux driver, pre-compiled as a module (which it should, since I don't want to go through the hassle of compiling a driver). When I upgrade to a later kernel version, I want to be absolutely sure that the driver will continue to work.

(Granted, Windows and MacOS aren't this compatible (I noticed a bunch of stuff that broke under MacOS 8.6), but overall they're pretty good. And why shouldn't Linux strive to be better than Windows and MacOS?)