Scripting on Linux

Author:Emmanuel M. Décarie
Posted:5/17/1999; 6:29:25 AM
Topic:Scripting on Linux

What is the state of interapplication messaging on Linux (keep in mind that this question is coming from a Mac user)?

For example, if I'm browsing the Web with Netscape, is it possible to ask Perl to get the URL of Netscape frontmost window?

Another example. If I'm getting a Web page with Perl (LWP), can I pipe the result to Netscape, so it will display the result in this browser?

This is trivial stuff to do on a Mac, is it possible on Linux?