Re: Mac OS X, Carbon, Etc.

Author:Greg Pierce
Posted:5/17/1999; 5:26:15 PM
Topic:Mac OS X, Carbon, Etc.

I'm with you on that. That was my one big dissapointment at WWDC. I don't know the details, but I'm guessing that the Quartz graphics engine is throwing things off...1) because it would be difficult to reproduce features on Windows and 2) because they must owe some more significant royalties to Adobe on it. It's based on the Bravo engine that's in Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign.

They didn't say that it won't appear, but I imagine they're going to charge for it. VP Phil Schiller was listening intently to feedback at the Friday Yellow/Cocoa sessions--maybe that will help.

At least they are commited to WebObjects on NT, so development won't be shutdown on the project.

I know I'd loooove to use Cocoa, but am basically dead-in-the-water if I can't deploy on Windows.