Configuring mainResponder apps for dialup testing

Author:Andrew Herron
Posted:5/19/1999; 8:05:39 AM
Topic:Configuring mainResponder apps for dialup testing

We are still finding our way around Frontier 6...making progress but we're not there yet. Therefore after scratching our heads on this for a while I thought I'd pose this question;

As an experiment we have been trying to use a vanilla copy of MTTF on a MacOS system that only has an ISDN dial up connection. Is it possible to experiment with MTTF in this way without having a fulltime Net connection? (we plan to move our setup to a server with a fulltime net connection once we have debugged everything) Same question goes for mainResponder setups in general I guess. We'd like to set these up and experiment with them before moving them accross to our main servers. We have read all of the docs but so far we are still not clear how to do this. Can anyone point us to info that explains how to do this...or comment from personal experience?

Another related question I'd like to pose is how do we take the vanilla MTTF ODB and use it at the core of an app we want to develop...there appear to be many hardcoded references to MTTF in it's scripts. How do people generally do this with Userland supplied example apps and retain the ability to take advantage of future UserLand code updates/bug fixes etc? Coming from a C++/Java where we would just use inheritance/subclasses etc and would therefore tranparently (almost!) inherit any fixes/updates we are unclear on how this is achieved with Frontier.

I hope these questions are not to basic...

Thanks in advance for your feedback.