Tactics

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/21/1999; 10:55:43 PM
Topic:Getting in Linus' head

Here's the Cluetrain Manifesto for Linux.

Embrace Windows and Mac. Don't forget that lots of people use these systems. Stress connectivity to these desktop systems. Also promote connectivity with NT servers.

Then when Lee Gomes calls, you say: "It's true that some people prefer to use NT servers. And most computer users are on Windows and Mac (note how we slipped the Mac in there, even with its small market share it stresses the point that Microsoft hasn't even locked up the desktop market). Even so, we feel that Linux fills an important need. It's an independent server platform that a lot of server developers like."

End of discussion. Microsoft can't refute that. It's obviously true. It's also obviously true that Linux is here to stay. But it would be a PITA if the press starts reporting "victories" for NT over Linux.

Personally I *like* the increasing momentum of Linux. It forces Microsoft to stay on its toes and continue to push NT server forward. They can't help but do that.

But I like the fact that Microsoft is paying attention also because it has a chance to wake the Linux community up to the value of working with other developers on other OSes, both as servers and esp as workstations or clients.

Make sense?