Haile Selassie

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/21/1999; 10:49:10 PM
Topic:Getting in Linus' head

The reason I pointed to Haile Selassie from Praise Microsoft! was this. If the Jamaicans could look for salvation from an ugly egotist like His Royal Highness, then the Linux Crowd could certainly kiss up to Microsoft if it meant defeating their intentions to marginalize Linux.

If all the reporters hear is love of Microsoft oozing from the Linux community, they're less likely to believe that Microsoft's attempts to spark a press war were for real.

I always wondered what would happen if Netscape had said "We love Microsoft, they make a great operating system, we happen to make a great app that runs on Windows. Praise Microsoft!"

Where would Microsoft go for a fight? (Netscape was a better target, they were organized like a clone of Microsoft. They zigged to Microsoft's zig. Easy for MS to pick a fight with them.)

I've been around this loop too many times. The Netscape guys behaved like drunken louts. They played right into Microsoft's strength and were erased in record time. I'd love to see Linux not fall into that trap. But evidenced by that WSJ piece, Linus/Linux *is* falling into the trap. Ooooops!!!