Who is Linus, anyway?

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:5/22/1999; 9:53:07 AM
Topic:Getting in Linus' head

I've been around this loop too many times. The Netscape guys behaved like drunken louts. They played right into Microsoft's strength and were erased in record time. I'd love to see Linux not fall into that trap. But evidenced by that WSJ piece, Linus/Linux *is* falling into the trap.

Let's "get into Linus' head" ourselves, and find out how he thinks. What are his long range plans? Why does he do Linux? How does he feel about RedHat? I did a Google search for interviews.

Linus, on promoting Linux:

[Linux advocacy.] A lot of it is too much. On the other hand, some of it is going on in quarters where it belongs - like the advocacy newsgroups which people read exactly because they want to see people going overboard. I try to not get involved. Sometimes I'm suckered into getting involved when somebody's obviously dissing Linux on advocacy grounds and saying something that is certainly not true. And then, by mistake, I try to fix it up, but it never goes anywhere because facts have nothing to do with advocacy anyway. Then I [also] get into the wars, and it takes me two days to notice I shouldn't have done this in the first place, [and that] I'd better shut up now.

Linus, on commercial Linux support:

Everybody who even wants to get into the Linux market -- if they want to get into the Linux market, it's because they like Linux at some level, which means they want to do the right thing. So I don't see anybody getting into the market for any negative reason.

I don't think that Linux per se will change. You have to realize that I was more nervous when Slackware came along -- somebody who was selling Linux for money, which was much more of a shock. I was kind of nervous. I thought it was a good idea, but I was kind of nervous.

But it just turned out to be so good. I mean there was such a synergy between having commercial people who wanted to make it easy to install and technical people who wanted to do the right thing technically that I'm not worried anymore when something like the Intel/Netscape announcement comes along.

Linus, on the name "Linux":

Actually, [the original name] was just -Freax-. And I think Linux [the name chosen by the FTP site admin] turned out to be a much better name, even though I at first thought it would sound too egoistical.

Linus, on Microsoft:

I can certainly understand the "David vs Goliath" setup, but no, I don't personally share it all that much. I can't say that I like MicroSoft: I think they make rather bad operating systems - Windows NT is just more of the same - but while I dislike their operating systems and abhor their tactics in the marketplace I at the same time don't really care all that much about them.

I'm simply too content doing what I _want_ to do to really have a very negative attitude towards MicroSoft. They make bad products - so what? I don't need to care, because I happily don't have to use them, and writing my own alternative has been a very gratifying experience in many ways.

Linus, on Bill's house:

I have no idea where I'd get that kind of money, but I can certainly imagine living in a house like that. I'd probably enjoy it immensely ;)

Linus, on going with the flow:

Right now, it's an alternative, but it's mainly an alternative for people who have specific needs. I certainly hope Linux will be more of an alternative for normal people, too. It's not a technical issue. It's more of a perceptive issue. It just makes more sense for normal people to go with the flow. Hopefully, going with the flow will no longer mean Linux isn't an option.

Linus, on operating systems and invisible Linux:

The operating system is kind of like the heart of the system. It's just a very fascinating part of the system. The operating system is like the laws and police force. In a good country, you're not supposed to care because you don't notice them. You're not supposed to see the OS, and a lot of people aren't really aware [of it]. It's the underbelly of the civilized world.

So how does Linus think?

He lives deep down in kernel land. He knows that applications and installers and support are all important, but these things aren't part of his world. Long ago, Linus decided to stick with what he knew, and leave the rest to others.

He doesn't like Microsoft or the NT kernel very much, but doesn't worry about them. He's never really understood the Macintosh. He wants to defend Linux, but he learned long ago not to pick fights.

If you yell at Linus long enough, though, he still gets mad. I think he has better control of his temper than most folks, but several weeks of rude behavior will still make him boil over.

Is it all about Linus?

No. There are at least a dozen kernel contributors who could do his job. Linus is smart, likeable guy who enjoys a cold beer, but he's not a visionary. His wife and kids matter more to him than Linux does.

Cheers, Eric