Re: Confused by new file attachments in DG...

Author:André Radke
Posted:5/28/1999; 8:30:07 AM
Topic:Confused by new file attachments in DG...

It looks as though any binary files that are attached to messages are stored in the file system.

Correct. We chose this approach so that these files could be served from the file system by an industrial-strength web server, e.g. WebSTAR or IIS.

Is msgReader aware of these files out there in the file system?

No, at least not yet. But mainResponder.discuss.editMessageForm is if you set its flShowFileList parameter to true. This script also contains some code demonstrating how to get a list of all files attached to a message.

It seems the new attach file feature set is geared towards a place to deposit binaries that an administrator might look at, approve, move into final position kind of scenario.

I suppose it could be used that way, though that's not how we currently use it. It's up to you!