Weblogs and Search Engines

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/28/1999; 9:35:25 AM
Topic:Weblogs

Excellent!

Re your most challenging thing, you need a search engine.

When I demo'd Manila at the SJ Merc earlier this week that was the number one sigh of relief from Pat Sullivan, who does Good Morning Silicon Valley. She's got the same problem. How to use the set of links from the past to support research, by her readers and for her own work.

I've had a search engine that covers all the back issues of Scripting News for almost a year now, and it's revolutionized the way I move. I can always find my old comments, and now that I know I have searching it has influenced the way I write.

The big Search companies have missed a big one. Weblogs and search engines will become the same thing in a couple of years. Think about it.