Re: Web based editing tools

Author:André Radke
Posted:6/4/1999; 4:21:04 PM
Topic:Web based editing tools

I guess I think the contents of the table should be invisible, if it is in a table designated for #renderTableWith.

Okay, but how does mainResponder know whether a table is designated for #renderTableWith?

I believe what you are saying is this: If you have a table structure like the following, you only want table1 and table2 to be accessible as pages to the outside world, while the subitem objects are private.

mySite
    #renderTableWith  "someTableRenderer"
    table1
        subitem1
        subitem2
    table2
        subitem1
        subitem2

The rule would be that if a table is on the same level as a #renderTableWith directive, then it is rendered thru a table renderer. Anything contained in such a table is private.

Unfortunately, it's not so simple. Here's how a basic news site structure looks:

scriptingNews
    #prefs
        renderTableWith "scriptingNewsRenderer"
    default
    1999
        06
            04
                discussionRoot "discuss"
                msgnum         7777

There's no #renderTableWith directive in the 1999 table, nor in any of its sub-tables. Still, if you request http://news.userland.com/1999/06/04, the scriptingNews.1999.06.04 table is rendered by the scriptingNewsRenderer.

What do you think should the rule be for mainResponder to decide whether an object is private or should be rendered thru the specified table renderer? Consider the following URLs:

http://news.userland.com/1999/06/04/msgnum

http://news.userland.com/1999/06/04

http://news.userland.com/1999/06

http://news.userland.com/1999

http://news.userland.com/

Can someone think of a time you would want sub-table items to be renderable?

The problem is to reliably identify those sub-table items!