Re: New release of Prefs.root

Author:erik
Posted:6/7/1999; 11:59:41 AM
Topic:Source release of Prefs.UserLand.Com

I have a lot of questions on prefs.root. Someday it will be documented. In the meantime, I will post updates as I discover more for anyone else who needs background info on prefs.root.

|What configuration URLs are used by prefs, if any? I see a
|"storyReader" URL attribute in the code.

To answer my own question, it appears that prefs.root/prefsSite/ uses memberLogon in your config URLs to find out what page to go to if you don't have the membership cookie defined in your browser.

|I'm not sure why it didn't use the cookie already defined by the previous membership prefs setup.
You have to remember to change #members inside prefs.root to match whatever default membership group you use.

|Is it probably better practice to copy prefsSite into your own root, or try to reference prefs.root from whereever your code lives? If you
|do copy prefs.root components into your own gdb, how many parts do you need to copy?

So far it looks like you only need prefsSite and prefsSuite.

|What if you want to have more than one custom datatype per prefs area?
|Now there is just one callback called customRenderer?

Looks like you have to use the case statement inside the this procedure to differentiate between custom datatypes.

|I don't see where the equivalent to Postcatcher is (an area to post-process form results).

It appears that the equivalent to postcatcher for post-processing arbitrary form data is in wizard.callbacks.setValue. Not sure how that works, especially for forms that result in multiple data items (postargs). It appears to use a similar case logic to customRenderer. Now we're passed a "adrval" as a parameter where before Postcatcher pulled values out using getPageTableAddress.

What is the execution order between customRenderer, setValue, and getValue?

How do you put HTML markup (essentially style info like < b >) inside a prefs wizard outline? When I put < b > in a description, it generates an error. I see in the change notes that HTML markup and likes were removed from descriptions.

Lastly, I don't see how you specify the default value for preference items such as radio buttons, popups, etc.

BTW, I get a window on my Frontier screen with scratchpad.postargs everytime I press submit on a web form using this prefs.root stuff.

erik