Edit this Page bookmarklets, XML, Weblogs

Author:Steve Kangas
Posted:6/11/1999; 5:06:23 AM
Topic:Edit this Page bookmarklets, XML, Weblogs

I've just released some "second-generation" bookmarklets of the "Edit this Page" variety. They require IE4+ (though there should be some Netscape ones later today). They're at http://www.bookmarklets.com/tools/markup/index.phtml The idea is to make it easy for people to modify and save the webpages they read.

Also, there is an experimental release of "XML Marklets" at http://www.bookmarklets.com/xml/ The idea here is to allow readers to add XML markup to webpages (not just authors!) This way it becomes possible to point out parts of documents to XML applications, so the reader can extract meaningful pieces for processing.

Together these might useful for weblogs. I can imagine a kind of Geocities for weblogs - some client-side apps for quoting and commenting on the pages we see, and a server-side process to organize and publish the results. It seems to me that the only way to match the diversity of information and interests on the web is to enable a large number of people to easily comment on them.

I mention all this here, a little early, with the hope of getting some knowledgable feedback while this project is still young.

Cheers,

Steve Kangas http://www.bookmarklets.com/