Re: Java, Servlets, XML-RPC

Author:Nicholas Riley
Posted:6/11/1999; 2:19:49 PM
Topic:Java, Servlets, XML-RPC

Installing Apache JServ isn't bad at all. It's a bit unstable on NT at the moment (crashes about once a week, seemingly randomly, for us) but is better on Windows.

I've been doing stuff with XML-RPC and servlets for several months now. I use a Java servlet as a HTML preprocessor - in the middle of Frontier's page rendering, it sends the page data over to Hannes' XML-RPC servlet (running under Sun's JavaWebServer, but it could be Apache/JServ too) which does some database queries, processes some results, and returns the page which gets squirted back into the ODB. Yes, I could do this under Frontier with the ODBC extension, but the great thing about this solution is that it lets me leverage our preprocessor servlet which was written for dynamic tasks, to do part-static sites with the power of Frontier's site management tools.

--Nicholas