Ads and My.UserLand.Com

Author:Josh Lucas
Posted:6/15/1999; 6:58:41 AM
Topic:Ads and My.UserLand.Com

In Jeff Veen's WebMonkey piece linked to yesterday, he talks about the need for more personalized advertisements. I think some interesting experiments could be done along those lines with the MyUserLand code and the user information found in members.root. I'm using MyUserLand as the example since it is the most "logical" place for banner ads.

For example, the channels that a person selects could be the basis of what banner ads they see. This could be via the OCS framework's idea of keywords and categories which describe the channel. A site could have categories of ads which would be randomly placed if a user has a channel selected from that category.

Another example could be keeping track of which ads the users clicks and serving 'special' ads to that person. This would require the advertiser to offer special deals to people who had previously clicked on ads. So, for example, instead of the 5% discount that everyone gets, a person who had clicked an ad would get a 10% discount.

Of course, with these possibilities, comes the reality of managing this info. A web-based GUI could be built that could schedule ads and view the various admin information.

I think basically what I'm talking about is a Frontier ad server. With the power of the mainResponder and hooks into other cool technology, it could be a very powerful piece.

I'd love to hear other thoughts and ideas about this.

thanks,
josh