Re: UserLand's response

Author:Ian Davis
Posted:6/17/1999; 6:59:44 AM
Topic:Netscape on next rev of RSS

I've said it before, but the success of the RSS format is in it's simplicity. Even my mother could write an RSS file if she knew how to write a simple web page.

I have a problem with the scripting news format in that it is overly complex. Bringing the linked text out of the body of the content is an extra step that just smacks of convenience from a parsing point of view. Also, the new version introduces lots of new tags with long names that are prone to typos - not everyone can generate them automatically. Why not use a namespace and shorten the element names?

Any successor to RSS has to be simple to create otherwise people won't use it. It doesn't matter how difficult it is to parse, teh number of publishers of content will vastly outweigh the number of aggregators

On another point, will anyone bother to come to read scripting news if they could read the entire content of the home page at my.netscape or via one of the several other channel portals now springing up around RSS. With the headline view, people still have a reason to come to your site, possibly generating the publisher revenue.

Just my tuppence

.id. -- weblog - http://alchemy.openjava.org/

me - http://www.fdc.co.uk/people/iand/

email - iand@fdc.co.uk | icq - 4423828