Re: UserLand's response

Author:Ian Davis
Posted:6/17/1999; 7:21:06 AM
Topic:Netscape on next rev of RSS

How about if we make it so simple anyone can do it? How about if it's just a matter of visiting a page and pasting in some text, and voila, an XMLization appears on the net? Do you think I type in any XML? I don't! I swear. It's all done by software. Could we make that software work via the web? Of course we can. Will we? Why shouldn't we?

Well, that's what RSSMaker does of course, except you don't have to paste anything anywhere. You just need to contact me and I'll add it to the list of sites visited, it would be trivial to add an online form to register. That's probably as simple as it gets. I'd rather not copy my web page into a cgi every time I update it, and for many people that could be quite frequently. my.userland could do something like that as an option.

About people bothering to come to Scripting News, why should I care about that? My purpose in writing for the web is to have people read what I write. I have no stake in what distribution system is used. If there's a more efficient one that gets my ideas in front of more people, I like it.

You might not care, but many many people do because they rely on ad revenue from impressions.

.id. (Given up on the sig - it's different every time. Feature request - can we add it to the account profile)