RFC: Including story text in the XMLization

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/19/1999; 11:09:21 PM
Topic:RFC: Including story text in the XMLization

RFC stands for Request For Comment.

I've been thinking about adding to the format, allowing full stories to appear in the XML.

There's a single compelling reason for this, one that could be quite revolutionary for people who use handheld computers. It might relate to accessibility too, which is a hot issue.

If the text of the story is included we can render it according to user preferences. So if we know if the client is a palmtop we could do something like what we do for the Avantgo version of Scripting News.

http://avantgo.userland.com/

It would be an optional feature, probably only viable for people doing their sites in a CMS.