Re: RFC: Including story text in the XMLization

Author:Edd Dumbill
Posted:6/20/1999; 11:10:16 AM
Topic:RFC: Including story text in the XMLization

Perhaps I should make myself a little clearer. I'm totally with you on making it easy to write. I've worked with journalists on the web for four years and I know they don't want anything beyond the basic markup (those that do are prepared to learn, generally!).

My ideal is a CMS suite that is quick and easy enough to use for writers and preserves more logical information (so us tool-writers and site producers can work all our transformations on it). There's a certain amount of logical activity that you want to do on a story as well as write it (add pictures, links, captions, headlines, bylines, datelines, references, sidebars) that is still too difficult/clunky without resorting to hacking HTML. This is the sort of problem I'm keen to solve (of course with some effort this functionality can be developed - and I've done it in the past - but only in the specific, rather than reusable situation).

On the second point, I agree that given the establishment of XLink like fashion, so the My concern really was that although it wouldn't complicate [A note about XMLNews: XMLNews is just one suggestion, from one group of people. It is an easier-to-use subset of the News Industry Text Format agreed by the European and US Newspaper/agency associations (IPTC and NAA). It doesn't have too many public examples of roll-out at the moment (you can find them at http://www.xmlnews.org/users.html) but one thing that's interesting is promised authoring support in the next generation of Corel's WordPerfect product. I suspect that it will be under consideration by a lot of web producers coming from print media -- I know that at my (soon to be ex-)employer, the UK's Press Association, it's actively under consideration for exporting content.]

There's no reason why there oughtn't to be a format, which supports directly those things that the Scripting News community needs, either. As I said before I have no association with XMLNews and have had very little experience of using it.

At the moment, although I author my raw content in XML, I have had to invent my own DTDs for it, which I only view as a temporary solution until there become some more accepted standards that are flexible enough for my needs. Maybe this discussion will be the start of one!

I hope that has made some of my points clearer -- apologies for not being quite lucid enough the first time around.