Re: RFC: Including story text in the XMLization

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/20/1999; 8:12:39 AM
Topic:RFC: Including story text in the XMLization

Well, I respectfully disagree on both counts.

I've been working with people who just want to write and don't want to learn rules about writing. The last thing I want to do is to require that they learn how to markup in a new language. At least with HTML they can go to a local bookstore and choose from 100 different books on HTML. So a little markup is fine, like italics and bold, but even boggles the mind of all but the most technical people.

Second, if we're on the cusp of including stories in the format, this would be the wrong time to switch formats. How established is "XMLNews"? I don't know. Are there any publicly available XMLNews files that we can add to the flow? If so, I'd like to learn more about it that way.