Re: One program to read, another to write

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:6/23/1999; 10:33:33 AM
Topic:Hidden failure of Win2k

What would be really nice is something like the link Frontier has with BBEdit -- I'd like to be able to hit a key combo to bring the content of the current textarea up in a BBEdit window, edit it there with BBEdit's powerful tools (much better than anything I'd expect Microsoft to come up with), and then have that window save back into the browser's text area.

Even better than that IMO would be to simply embed BBEdit as a component in place of the browser's normal textarea widget. MS already has this technology (ActiveX), but in this case they're not using it. The HTML editing component is not good enough, because you have to use ActiveX tags (meaning that your page won't work on other browsers). If I could tell MSIE "whenever you see a IIRC, Mozilla has a unified text editing component that is used for writing email, editing Web pages (Composer), and textareas. It's a pretty obvious idea: If you already spent the effort to write a decent text editor, why not use it everywhere?