Re: One program to read, another to write

Author:Sean Lindsay
Posted:6/23/1999; 11:06:39 AM
Topic:Hidden failure of Win2k

I know that I expect different things of my web browser and my text editor. When I slap some markup tags around a word, I want my editor to show me the tags without applying them, and my browser to apply them without showing them. These are different tasks, and I don't expect one program to be able to do both of them well.

A browser-based editing tool should be able to do both easily, and simultaneously. It's different from the TV analogy, because it's all software.

A text editor is just a browser (displaying text) with some extra buttons that do stuff, so why not a browser that becomes an editor when you add those buttons to it? The distinction between the editor software and the display software doesn't need to be visible to the user.

It really depends on what you want to accomplish with the new writing tool. IMHO, the