Re: Hidden failure of MSIE

Author:Chuck White
Posted:6/23/1999; 9:05:54 PM
Topic:Hidden failure of Win2k

Interesting discussion. The bottom line is that if the market deems it, someone will create a browser/writer. Certainly, someone could do it now with IE5. You can add a browser COM object to a lightweight text editor, and there you go. In fact, Microsoft pushes the idea of adding the browser COM object to applications, and vice versa (customizing IE5). I bet one of the many hackers visiting these boards could do it, if sufficiently challenged. I would also argue that, as bulky and cumbersome as it is, you can use Word 2000 and IE5 in a way that comes pretty close to an integration of the two processes. If you save a Word 2000 file as an HTML file, it retains all its style information by using XML namespaces. No one can accuse Microsoft of elegant solutions, but it works.

That said, from what I've read of Dave's posts, it's not really what he's looking for. I would think the ultimate solution would be cross platform. Maybe Java, if the various VM porting headaches could be resolved. Again, if there's demand, someone will do it.