technography: on-line no more

Author:Bernie DeKoven
Posted:7/1/1999; 8:45:58 AM
Topic:technography: on-line no more

As you know, we’ve been playing with several actually viable technologies for on-line technography. Our current choice for Number One is WebEx. It’s fast. It’s free. It’s good. It’s getting better.

We’ve been conducting technography training on-line for about a month. The training (more of a coaching, really) is performed using the phone and WebEx with the technography-trainee driving the software. This way, I get to preach, and the students get to practice.

We’ve been focusing on mastering the outliner (the outline “view” in Word). We’ve been using it especially to: develop agendas, brainstorm, and prepare presentations (using the “Send To” command in Word you can port the word document, as structured, directly into PowerPoint. The result is almost as impressive as MORE).

During the process, naturally enough, we dropped the “on-line” part of “on-line technography.” After reconsidering my considered opinions, it became obvious that the technography we are doing on-line is virtually the same technography we do in face-to-face meetings. There is no reason to make a distinction. And that’s the beauty of it!

Several of the people who are subjecting themselves to this pilot program in technography training (see, no “on-line”) came to me via an inquiry I sent to “Virtual Assistants” http://www.assistu.com/news/index.html Wonderful to discover an organization such as this already in place. Actual virtual assistance -- secretarial and administrative support delivered on-line. Though only some of them are aware of it now, these Virtual Assistants are the Future Technographers of the World.