A common syndication format?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/2/1999; 6:21:58 AM
Topic:Syndication formats mailing list

OK, in the spirit of opening this up, a progress report.

I've spoken several times this week with people from Netscape on the next step with RSS and . I proposed that we agree on a single format, and a loose way of moving forward in the future.

To me, the single most important thing is to maintain a non-rigid attitude, to be focused on what I want, and not be overly concerned about stylistic issues at the XML level. The goal is to enable interesting apps, and to do it in an open way so no one feels the need to blaze their own trail.

Netscape isn't of one mind on the subject of ownership. Some people (apparently) believe that it has to be shared, and others are very clear that RSS is a Netscape creation.

Philosophically, if the "we own it" approach wins at Netscape, then there *will* be more than one format. I know this because there already is more than one format. As I said to Netscape people yesterday, "We are working with many other developers, it won't do to tell them to 'talk to Netscape' when they want us to accomodate their needs."

We renewed development of format because Netscape was going forward, against their stated intentions, without us in the loop. They were evolving RSS to meet their needs, but ignoring ours. Which is their choice, nothing wrong with this, but we have to respond accordingly if we care about this market, which we do.

So, without the direct involvement of Netscape, let me state what I have proposed to them publicly, so at least you know what I want to see happen with RSS. Your opinion may differ. However if you can get behind this as-is, this will allay a fear that Netscape has, that the spec will bloat and get uncontrollable and most important, be unimplementable on their server. These are legitimate concerns, we share them. We won't support creeping featuritis-type growth in either spec.

Examples

For the purposes of this discussion, please refer to these two examples, one in RSS format and the other in format.

Focus on s

The key point of contention is the format of an . The rest of it is easy.