Re: A common syndication format?

Author:Mark Nottingham
Posted:7/2/1999; 7:16:47 AM
Topic:Syndication formats mailing list

I agree with just about everything you're saying. If Netscape (or portions thereof) doesn't want to play ball, but the rest of the world comes up with a format that works for everybody else, they won't have much of a choice ;-) I really hope they will-- they've contributed a lot.

is very much the key. Netscape want just titles. SN wants freeform text, and "hard news" sites want title-description. As you illustrate, it's easy to accomodate all three.

RE: creeping featurism; I agree to a degree. I don't have any problem with a content provider or an aggregator specifying extensions (esp. in the header) once a common core is agreed upon. But it has to be silently ignorable.

One interesting thing (Ian brings it up) is HTML in s. There seem to be polar views on this, but perhaps a compromise can be reached; a list of allowed elements, with the proviso that some user agents will strip them out. Just a thought.

I imagine there's going to be a lot of back-and-forth about certain features, formatting the XML, etc. That's OK, as long as what comes out of it is universal (as much as possible), easy to use on both ends (!), and functional.