Re: XML-RPC for Emacs

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:7/3/1999; 7:14:30 AM
Topic:XML-RPC for Emacs

This reminds me of the time when a friend of mine hooked got the lisp engine in Emacs talking to the lisp engine that drives GWM. "I'll make GNU-Emacs my X-11 window manager or die trying."

I was very disappointed when I discovered that I couldn't use Emacs as my login shell. :-)

With Frontier running I can tie XML-RPC to arbitrary scripts that run the Mac OS? Windows?

Yes. If we had XML-RPC for Emacs, you could write elisp scripts which talked to Frontier on your Macintosh and controlled the whole system via UserTalk or AppleScript. With a bit of hacking, you could even use Emacs to flow content into QuarkXPress.

There's this fantasy world where all apps can talk to each other via a uniform layer and the user can program how they act.

In my fantasy world, anybody who could write a script could also figure out how to make XML-RPC calls from Windows to Linux to the MacOS.

There's no reason user scripts should be stuck on one machine. We want to build these bridges and make them strong.

Cheers,
Eric