Re: Changing email of membership

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/11/1999; 11:17:59 AM
Topic:Changing email of membership

You can change your email address.

Sign out and sign up for a new account with a different email address.

However, you will not be able to take your current preference settings with you. If we allowed that then anyone could hijack all your settings. This would be a headline on News.Com and Wired News. Major security hole on UserLand.Com. We'd have to close it. So we decided to never open it in the first place.

BTW, I just did this on Amazon.Com. They have the same rule. Probably for the same reason. They're keeping my Visa account on their server. We want to do the same thing here. (We will, in a couple of weeks.)

So one little bit of inflexibility in a prefs system this is pretty flexible (thanks to running in an object db, instead of a relational db). A tradeoff. All software has tradeoffs, it used to be just time and space that mattered, but now its convenience against protecting the user's personal data.