Ideas on Frontier doc

Author:Emmanuel M. Décarie
Posted:7/14/1999; 8:39:05 AM
Topic:Ideas on Frontier doc

I wanted to have the Frontier 6 doc on my disk like it was in the old days of Frontier 4x. Because I didn't find a link to download the doc, I, unfortunately, grabbed the whole frontier.userland.com site.

This is not a very good solution, since it takes time, and, I guess, not very friendly for the UserLand server.

Then, I put a couple of hours with some Nisus macros to convert the MainResponder section from the HTML to a nice and printable format.

Today, even if I still use Verbi (thanks John) with docserver.root, I wanted to check the XML verbs in my web browser. So I rendered this table to my disk. I was surprise to see that the banners images are linked to the UserLand server. This not a big problem since there is tons of solution to "unlink" these banners.

I have two thoughts on this.

1) The Frontier documentation improved dramatically with Frontier 6. There is more documentation, the documentation is better, and its more easy to navigate and find stuff. For example MainResponder documentation is impressive (but not an easy ride). Pretty printed, its close to one hundred pages on letter paper size with a small font (Geneva 10).

2) Its getting more harder now to have this documentation on your own disk and see it locally without an open Internet connection. And its not an easy task to have a printable format for the doc if its not already provided by UserLand.

Some suggestions:

1. Please provide a frontier.userland.com that I can download to my disk and see without an open Internet connection.

2. If you don't want to provide a printable version in PDF for some part of the doc (MainResponder, DocServer, XML-RPC...), can you please provide this doc in XML. At least, this could help to make an easy printable version.

I understand that these two suggestions, if they were going to be implemented, will take a lot of time and resources. But since Frontier is a champion of CMS, its ironic to see that the only format we can have for the doc is HTML.