Charlie Kindel on Apple's AirPort

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/23/1999; 6:56:44 AM
Topic:Charlie Kindel on Apple's AirPort

From ckindel@microsoft.com, in response to Brick and Mortar Isn't Dead Either.

"About 4 months ago I got a new job at MS. I now own making networking easy, cool, and more relevant for the upcoming releases of Consumer Windows (we're doing a Win9x based release in '00 and a Win2K based release in '01).

"I love what Apple's done with their wireless thing for the iBook. Very smart. How they are able to only charge $99 per node for an 802.11 DSSS node is a big question, but my understanding is it's due to the volume they represent (where previously volumes for these things were very low).

"We already support Lucent's WaveLan product (upon which AirPort appears to be based) as well as other 802.11 products such as Proxim's Symphony (www.proxim.com), but PC OEMs have not done anything close to as cool as what Apple's done with the iBook."