Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/24/1999; 5:40:43 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

DaveNet: Dave the Disintermediator.

Microsoft Executive Q&A at last week's analyst meeting. "The thing that we need to do is take what we've done with ASPs and what we've done with Visual Interdev and our COM approach doing this object stuff, and take that to a new level."

MacWEEK interviews Adobe CEO John Warnock. "Asked what Adobe wants to become, Warnock is clear: 'If there is anything to be authored, we wanna do it.'" Excellent!

Jim Biancolo created The Listology because he "kept running out of good movies to rent, books to read, and music to listen to."

Red Herring: Attack of the Viral Web notes. "But one has to wonder, with a large group of these products now available, how does one decide between them? Will there soon be Web notes tools for the Web notes tools? The next craze could be meta-pan-Web tools."

On 7/23/99, Confinity made history at Buck's by receiving its first-round financing from Nokia Ventures using Palm Pilots and Confinity's PayPal software to do the funds transfer.

9/7/95: You Are Media. "There must be a social pulse to Silicon Valley, but it's hard to find." Not no more!

Sandy Reed: Why we reverted to the former InfoWorld.com Web site. "Many pointed out that the original Web site we had thought was behind the times had a lot going for it. It was snappy in performance, clean in appearance, and easy to use." Yes.

An email to Symantec's chief counsel sent on July 17 re "antique" software.

Fortune: Big Brother Online. "Several weeks after surfing around Pregnancy Today's site, she had a miscarriage. She and her husband were deeply upset since it wasn't the first pregnancy they'd lost."

Wired: Never Enough at MacWorld Expo. "Macworld organizer IDG Expo Management has selected 4 January 2000, a Tuesday, as the first day of the show, a test of Y2K preparedness and patience for all involved. People setting up the San Francisco event will be faced with traveling during one of the busiest holiday weekends of the year, while flying in the face of potential logistics snafus caused by the millennium bug." 160 days to Y2K.

MSNBC: Starbucks Tones Down Net Expansion. "Chief Executive Howard Schultz said Starbucks will grow its Internet business conservatively, not through big acquisitions, as investors had feared, and will refocus on its core coffee retailing business."